Valentine's Day Dangers!

blog

Valentine’s Day comes with a lot of great things, most of them involving candy, but did you know it could also be dangerous for your cat or dog? First and foremost, chocolate. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats; the darker it is, the worse it is for them. I’ve met many pet owners who swear up and down that their animal is just fine with a little chocolate, but do you really want to gamble your pet’s life against your ability to calculate just how much is okay for them? Especially when you could be eating it yourself!

Next, flowers. Roses themselves are not dangerous to dogs and cats, but their thorns can be! If your animal chews on the stems, it could damage their mouth, and do worse if they swallow it. And if your date got a little more original than the usual red rose bouquet, there could be worse problems still---lilies, tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils are all poisonous to animals!

Finally, food. Candlelight dinners and glasses of wine are well and good for us, but it’s best to keep that just between you and your special someone. Animals should not have anything containing alcohol or caffeine, and if you’re bringing them home the proverbial doggie bag from your dinner date, make sure it does NOT include dairy, onion, garlic, chives, grapes/raisins, undercooked meat, undercooked eggs, and bones. While the latter three might seem like healthy, natural options for a dog or cat, undercooked foods can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli. Your pet also might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter inside their digestive tract.

So remember---just because there’s something YOU love enjoying on February 14, doesn’t mean your pet should have it too! Instead of sharing these things, try safe treats, long walks, or just spending some extra time cuddling with your furry friend to show your love. They may not know what day it is, but we guarantee they’ll understand!